DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL JOB DESCRIPTION
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Developing, training & maintaining the physical, mental and emotional well being of each member in the program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Demonstrate the ability to relate to and work with adults with disabilities.
• The DSP position requires one to be self-motivated, directing outcomes for all members.
• Provide positive instruction and supervision to members in developing daily living skills and appropriate adult social and behavior patterns by creating the best conditions for the members’ general health & emotional well-being. Be a positive role model for members in behavior and dress as well as exhibiting honesty and dependability.
• Supervise and assist, as necessary, with domestic skills, communication impairments, intellectual impairments, community orientation, transportation, social skills, financial management, health care, behavioral needs, nutritional needs, all manner of personal hygiene cares, and health and safety, as assigned by the Residential Manager.
• Supervise members’ personal allowance and checkbook. Give guidance in the spending of money appropriately and to record expenditures accurately. (Financial)
• Supervise members care and use of clothing and personal property. Assist with such purchases and instruct proper grooming skills and appearance. This includes bathing and application of medications as well. (Hygiene)
• Dispense medications to members and properly record according to medication administration policies. (Medical)
• Obtain and/or maintain a Chauffeur-Class D license and be insurable by our company. You will also be responsible for transporting members to a variety of functions. (transportation)
• Perform all other duties as assigned.
• Daily assess and accurately document member behaviors and compliance as they relate to objectives of the members’ IPP. Respect member differences and personal choice. Have the ability to provide input into members’ IPP strengths, needs, objectives and behavior modification programs.
• Promptly document all incidents, accidents, and behavior patterns on E-docs.
• Attend members’ annual meeting when assigned and accompany members to routine appointments.
• Attend staff meetings and stay informed of all programming and administrative information by the method chosen by your Residential Manager. Promote and practice team involvement at all levels.
• Complete monthly trainings as assigned.
• Review safety procedures with members and document procedure covered and persons in attendance.
• Practice Universal Precautions
• Maintain housekeeping standards and report any items that need to be repaired/replaced to your Residential Manager.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Consistent attendance is an essential function of the position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Willing to become an Iowa Certified Medication Aide or Medication Manager.
• AA Degree in Human Services (Preferred, but not required) ______________________________________________________________
There are no current openings at this time.